Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers
6 peppers (yellow, red or orange)
6 large tomatoes
1 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of water
1 1/2 cups of chopped parsley
3/4 cup of fresh chopped mint
1 cup of uncle ben's rice (rinsed well)
1 large red onion (sliced)
1 large red onion (chopped)
7 garlic cloves (minced)
1 lbs. 2oz (approximately) of meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork and veal)
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp all spice
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp. oregano
4 cups of crushed tomatoes
Rinse the rice and soak in water for 30 minutes
Preheat oven for 375
- Add 1/2 cup of olive oil to very large skillet and heat
-Add chopped onions
- Cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add ground meat and season with salt, pepper, cumin, all spice, oregano and nutmeg.
- Cook until brown and break up the meat
- Add drained rice, crushed tomatoes, white wine and water to meat mixture
- Let it simmer for 20 minutes
- Stir fresh parsley and mint into meat mixture
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Prep tomatoes and peppers. Cut tomato tops, scoop out inside and reserve the flesh and tops. Cut top of peppers and clean the inside (you don't need to reserve the inside of the peppers but save the tops)
- Prepare a large baking pan. Oil the bottom and spread inside of tomatoes and sliced onion.
- Spoon mixture inside tomatoes and peppers and place tops on them.
- Lightly salt and paper the exterior
- Cook for 1.5 hours or more, until rice is cooked, tomatoes are collapsed and peppers appear as they do in the photo. If the bottom becomes dry, add a bit of water as needed.